10/19/2010

WinMo 7...I mean Windows Phone 7 Released

Posted by Ido |

After years of mediocre improvements to its aging mobile phone operating system, Microsoft is releasing Windows Phone 7 (the update from Windows Mobile 6.5). The rabble rousers from Redmond are putting an estimated $500 million in marketing to back the claim that its new OS will make you ditch your iPhone, return your Android smartphone, and come marching in droves to buy a WP7 enabled phone. Microsoft claims that it is a revolutionary mobile phone interface.


I am wisely witholding my judgment until the phone's official release in November, when I plan to push the 11yo in front of me out of the way and manhandle it for an hour or so. After I apologize to his/her mother and the AT&T store manager, I will be sure to write up my initial impressions.

4 comments:

Benjamin said...

if you were to ditch a phone today and get a 2yr plan on a new phone (Verizon) what would u go with? and, would i wait until iphone or new droid comes out? thanks

Ido said...

First, I do not sign 2-year contacts. If someone else asked me I would not tell them to wait for the new iPhone. Why not? Because I would not be able to tell them for sure when its coming out. When I tell people that its optimal to wait for a phone - I have a pretty concrete timeline for when that will happen (say, in the next month or two).
I do not trust the rumors about the Verizon iPhone to make a recommendation about it. As far as I am concerned, its not coming out. When I see it or hear credible sources divulge a release date it will be a different story.
More importantly, I strongly believe Android is on par with iPhone when it comes to high-end smartphones. Each carries highlights and flaws, but none to push me one way or the other.
If you want a phone today - until the next month, any Android phone should do the trick. As to which Android phone - well, that would require more information on what one looks for in a phone.

Benjamin said...

finally some good back and forth on this blog. and some new posts. Which have taken a back seat to, lets face, less important things. ie girls,tests,schools. This blog is your future dude. Not that stuff! Thanks for answer though. Big help.
Can you rate your experience with the droid for me scale of 1-10

ido said...

good back and forth requires people reading the comments on an old piece. Can I answer in the same sarcastic manner...*1&$

which droid are we talking about?

There has been a lot of mixed up branding.
droid - motorola's first google phone?
droid 2 - its second with an updated keyboard?
droid X - its third phone and a beast of a screen
droid - any Android phone?

Post a Comment