Google's Android, in contrast to Apple's iOS and RIM's Blackberry OS 6, is made to be customizable. This is why on some level Android phones appeal to geeks more than mainstream users. For the most part, I can appreciate the difference between the philosophies - on one side, Google believes that the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole and by giving away its software for free more input will drive better products. Apple believes that an OS should be closed, "tight" and not open to interpretation - Apple argues that decision by democracy is not always the best way (and so far, they have proven this to right). As I have mentioned before I sport an Android phone because I have less options on Verizon than on AT&T and the network takes priority over the handset. While the name of this site implies that I fall into the geek camp, there are times, however, where I wish I was using a phone blessed by Apple's approach.

One recent gripe: I cannot exit out of gmail. "What?!?", you may ask. The official gmail app on Android has no option to exit. This would not be an issue if software was perfect and bug free, but unfortunately for those working double time in Mountain View, Google's headquarters, it's not. When an error does occur, I need to restart my phone by pulling the battery out.


Why did Google not include an "exit" / "logout" feature in its native gmail app??? And, no, tapping the home screen or the back button is not what I mean by exiting the app. In that case, the app would still be running.


If someone can answer this question for me or point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.


For those still interested, the specific problem I am having is that when gmail bugs out, every time I tap on an email it open the last email I read before the bug appeared. So, I cannot read any new emails that come in without performing a hard restart (pulling the battery out). Frustrating as the bug is happening more often as time goes by.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Try advanced task killer which gives you a one tap way to close all running applications.

On the topic of customization and openness though, the best thing I did to my droid was root it. Gives you control over every aspect of the phone in addition to better performance, wifi hotspot, ad blocking, moving any apps to SD card and pretty much unlimited customization. My original droid is now running at almost 1.4ghz with about 2x battery life.

Ido said...

I've used ATK - but, the downsides are you have to fire up the app and every other app you were using in the background in now closed. Plus, after hearing Andy Rubin, the architect of Android, say that ATK or apps like it are not necessary for the Android - I deleted it.

Case in point - Dave, you are as much if not more of a mobile geek than I am (well, you sure are an Android geek), so it makes sense you would root your phone. I will probably change phones in the coming months so I will hold off rooting the phone, but sure, its better but has risks associated with it.

AjB said...

I task kill my task killer but you definitely need the app when you see your battery get into the yellow and you want to clean house of all the crap running in the background.

p.s. how come MP3 Store keeps running in the background

Anonymous said...

Not sure i understand the bug...never experienced it...but I'd guess gmail is one of the most robust apps given that it's the most used.

Suffice to say though, the existence of a bug is not a reflection of open source....Google's core android experience is very well vetted by Google itself...it should be just as technically polished as iOS, even if they're not quite as good at UI.

Are the UI overlays (Blur, Sense, etc...) or the custom OS (cynaogenmod etc...) all technically robust? Dunno. But I don't thin teh Android kernal is any less developped than iOS.

Ido said...

AJB - not sure, why it runs, I have the same problem, I have all these things running that I dont want them to

Anonymous - looks like the bug has been fixed bc I downloaded the new gmail...took care of the problem.

Android is not even close to as polished as iOS - they built a half-baked OS for others to pitch in and finish it, and then add some shimmer and polish.

Post a Comment