On my short morning walk to the 4/5 train today, I had the epiphany - to keep my mind sharp well into my 100's, I want to start working on the crossword puzzle a few times a week. Your mind is a muscle (I hope the doctors reading this don't take that too literally) and to stay focused, you must exercise that muscle. I figured attempting he crossword puzzle would be a decent idea. I used to love working on crossword puzzles in highschool and its time to re-incorporated it into my semi-daily routine.


While on 85th st, one block away from the subway, I bet myself that I could (or couldn't - depends which side you are on) download, mid-stride, a crossword puzzle app on my Android phone, install it and read the first clue before I enter the dead zone - the NYC subway system. Down four flights of stairs, where the 4/5 train is, expect no internet, no email, no text messages - I am as radio silent as the Viet Cong hiding in the jungle in 1971. Although I read, almost daily, on my kindle I want to change up my acitivites every few days. As it happens, the 4, 5 and 6 trains were delayed this morning (the train stopped at 86th st, in mid-air mind you, reversed direction, blocking any incoming trains, and slowly disappeared, defying the laws of physics). I was forced to spend an extra 20 minutes in enemy territory with no form of communication - deadly to a mobile geek. Luckily, I won (or lost) my bet and time flew by as I happily struggled through my first crossword puzzle in a few years.


PS For those interested the app is called Shortyz Crosswords and can be found in the Android Marketplace by searching for "crossword."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good find on the App Iman

Post a Comment